Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Book Thief

I crept quietly into my sister's room, careful not to wake her. It was pitch black and instead of using my eyes to look for the book, I had to grope around the room with my hands. After silently searching for a while, I found the book on her nightstand. As I grabbed the book and the pages rustled, my sister turned in her sleep. I got out of the room as fast as I could without waking her. Once I was in my living room, I flopped down on my red couch and opened the book to the page where I had stopped reading the previous night. I had been sneaking in and taking Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stonby J.K. Rowling for quite some time and was almost done with the book. I had become the book thief.

The reason I had been sneaking the book at night, when my sister was asleep, was very simple. I wanted to read it. I was about to start reading the series when all of a sudden I had come home from school one day and my sixteen year old sister (who had never read the books either) was sitting at the table with her nose in the book. At first I didn't really care. In fact, I was pretty happy and I continued to ask her, "Is it good? I heard it was amazing." and occasionally "So what part are you up to?" I was content. Then I realized I really wanted to read the book and was too eager to wait any longer. I asked her, "Can I take the book to school to read at project R.E.A.L?" But of course she had to go and say, "Oohhhh no Janee. I'm reading it and I want to take it to school!" So I had to deal with it until one night I spotted it in her room and realized I finally had a chance to read it! It worked out pretty well and she never found out that I was reading it until she was finished and didn't need the book anymore. It was a very exciting read and I had never underestimated the praise given to the series of books by my peers.

I'm currently reading the third book, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and I'm completely hooked, I never want to put the book down and I'd definitely rather be reading it right now. I'm surprised I have never read any of the books sooner, it's almost like I forgot about them lying in my bookshelf. I love the movies and the books very, very much. I'm not sure if I can judge fairly yet though, for I am only in the middle of the third book. I would definitely recommend the Harry Potter series to anyone of any age who hasn't read it yet. The past week I have been streaming through the first few books (not to worry, I'm a very slow reader and I didn't rush) and I can't wait to finish the series. At the same time, though, I know I'll be sad when the series is over and I have to go back to reading books that could never compare to Harry Potter.

3 comments:

  1. The beginning is really good, and detailed. It's a bit funny too, at first I thought you were talking about a book called, "The Book Thief" but you weren't! I think this post is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you "unpacked" your thoughts. I felt that your first paragraph was kinda of like a good beginning to a story, I would really love to see, that little scene to turn into a chapter, or even a short story! I was totally hooked to this post and I loved the way you organized it!
    Paragraph:
    1. Short moment(past)
    2. Describing what was going on- Descripton
    3. Wrap-up/ Telling us what is going on today.(present)
    :) I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!!! ME TOOO. I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT A BOOK BUT YOU WEREN'T. YOU ALSO MADE IT YOUR OWN, YOU KNOW? WHICH MADE IT QUIRKY AND PERSONAL AT THE SAME TIME.

    ReplyDelete